Sunday, January 03, 2010

2010: The Year of Change (Please Jesus!)

It has been a few weeks since I last posted.  This is because I left VERY early in the morning on Christmas morning for a week+ trip to the Chicago area to see my brother, sister-in-law, and the adorable-ness that is my nephew.  I just got back yesterday and though my nephew, being a typical 19-month-old, doesn't share much, he did manage to share a few germs with me and I have arrived home to a nasty cold that has me out on the couch sick.

Every year around New Years, I do the same thing that most Americans do and take stock of my life from the previous year and look forward to what may be lying in wait for the upcoming year.

Last year at this time, I tried something new.  For the first time I actually made a list of things I was praying and hoping for during 2009.  These weren't/aren't resolutions, per se.  These were more along the lines of things I was asking the Lord for/praying for during the upcoming year. I posted this list on my bulletin board in my office.  I just looked at the list today and out of the ten things listed, I got to check off four.  My list was pretty random, and included everything from "traveling abroad" to "learn how to can."  I figure since it was my first attempt at something like this, getting four out of ten is a pretty good first showing.

So, I am thinking about what I want to write down for 2010....and in a lot of ways it feels like I am hoping for some pretty big things this year.  If they were all to come true, my life could look radically different at this time next year from the way it looks now....I could potentially: be in full-time ministry, live somewhere totally different, be married, be healed of my thyroid/rotator cuff/feminine issues, and so much more.  Most of those things sound really nice and a few, I'll admit, sound really scary. 

All I know is that as my plane flew over the lights of Seattle, rather than being grateful to be home and excited about what I was coming home to, I felt a profound sense of melancholy.  Some of this is because of the winter blues that set in this time of year every year, but I'd be lying if I said that was the only reason.  I am in need of some change in my life.  I just pray I have the courage to make those changes and follow the Lord in what those changes are.

Blessings to you in 2010,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment