Monday, September 14, 2009

$0.90

I have now decided that I am officially poor. I have exactly $0.90 in my account and do not get paid again until the 22nd. I have somewhere between 1/4 and 1/8 of a tank of gas, no bread, just ate my last bowl of oatmeal and sniffed the leftover pasta salad in my fridge before packing it in my lunch today, praying against all food poisoning.

I am not alone in my poverty. There are, in fact, lots of folks around the world who have it way worse than I do. I *will* get paid, albeit not much, on the 22nd and have some money for food and gas after some bills are paid. There are others who won't. Yes, I have had to severely cut back on all the "fun" stuff in life, and even the basics (like food) are being stretched but at the end of the day, I have a roof over my head, a heated house, a car to drive, I have an amazing family, a job that is fun (even if low-paying), and a God who is good....and I could go on and on.

For all of those things, I need to remember how good I really do have it. Let's just hope I don't run out of gas!

Blessings,
Erin

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Erin! Oh, how many times I've been in similar shoes! I wanted to let you know of a few things that I get the blessing to be part of - both as a giver and as a receiver.

    BREAD: I get my car (or Kevin's truck!) loaded with bread every Tuesday afternoon and take it to a church in Puyallup where Katelynn goes to preschool and I go to MOPS. We set it out for anyone to take. I have a list of folks that I e-mail once I get the bread to let them know what we got this week. We never know what or how much we'll get week to week. But that way some people can stop by and get what they want, and/or ask me to set aside some for them to get later. We get it from the bakery and they give it out to different organizations. you are more than welcome to some if you'd like! Kevin work in Tacoma and sometimes will take to the Halbert's while on his "rounds".

    God's Food For Life: This has been a saving grace more times that not! Our church gives away groceries every 3rd Saturday of the month. They have a bunch of tables set up with food and bags set up for all those that pass by. They have produce, canned goods, meats, frozen foods, breads, sweets :), and lots of other random things! I've had a number of friends that don't go to our church come and get food every month. I'd love to have you join us some Saturday night if you want!! Service is at 6pm and the food is given out afterwards - around 7:15.
    I'm going to send this now so it doesn't get erased like my last comment I tried to leave! :) Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, I'd love to partake of any of this help! I have been researching food pantries near to where I live too, and they're all great! I would guess tonight is the third Sat. of this month and I can't make it! Bummer! I am going to a wedding. Perhaps next month?

    ReplyDelete